Learn what is a time capsule and what to put inside. Plus, download and print this adorable Kindergarten to High School Time Capsule Printable: A printable time capsule to keep throughout your child’s school years filled with the best of memories.
Time stands still for no one and that is especially true when your kids are growing up. Turn back time and celebrate how things have changed with a time capsule! This time capsule printable is so much fun and it’s a great way to keep those precious memories alive.
What is a Time Capsule?
A time capsule is a container that is filled with items that represent a specific time period. Time capsule ideas are items including anything from photos and clothes to toys and trinkets.
The purpose of a time capsule is to put these items in the keepsake and bury it somewhere so that it can be opened at a later date to remind people of what life was like during that time. Burying it, might just be putting it in the deep crevices of a utility room or other hidden room in the house. A perfect time to open this is a milestone event like a birthday, graduation or wedding.
What to Put in Your Time Capsule?
There are no set rules for what you should put in your time capsule, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Photographs of you, your friends, and your family
- Newspaper clippings from the time period
- A list of songs that were popular during that time
- Movie tickets or posters
- Clothing items from the time period
- Sports memorabilia
In our time capsule worksheets, we include the following…
- Favorite Subject
- Favorite TV show
- Favorite Movie
- Favorite Book
- Favorite Song
- Favorite Food
- Favorite Activity
- Favorite Saying/Quote
The sheets also provide an opportunity to answer the following time capsule questions…
- When I grow up I want to be…
- My best friends are…
- I’m really awesome at…
- After school I like to…
- Next year I look forward to…
- This year I got better at…
- Something new I learned
How to Make a Time Capsule?
There are lots of different ways to make a time capsule, but here is one easy way to do it:
- Choose a time capsule container. This could be anything from a cardboard photo box to a plastic Sterilite container with a lid.
- Decorate the container however you like. You can paint it, draw on it, or use stickers to decorate it.
- Collect items that represent the time period. As mentioned earlier, these could be photos, newspaper clippings, clothing items, etc. Anything that is important during the time you’re representing works.
- Put the items in the container and seal it shut. The sealing process depends on how you’re going to store the container until you open it. If the plan is to bury the time capsule, you’ll want to make sure it is sealed tightly so that water cannot get in. If you’re going to store it inside, a simple piece of tape over the lid will suffice.
- Choose a date for when you want to open the time capsule. This could be 5 years from now, 10 years from now, or even 50 years from now.
- Label the container with the date and a description of what is inside.
- Bury or store the capsule somewhere safe.
How to Open a Time Capsule?
There are two ways to handle a time capsule. The first way is to simply bury it and forget about it until the date that you have chosen to open it. The second way is to store it in a safe place and then open it on the date that you have chosen.
If you want to bury your time capsule, it is a good idea to mark the spot so that you can find it later. If you choose to store your time capsule, make sure to put it in a place where it will not be damaged by water or bugs.
Printable Time Capsule Ideas
Now that you know all about time capsules, why not try making one of your own? This printable time capsule template is the perfect way to get started.
This colorful printable is designed to be put together when your child enters kindergarten and opened when they graduate. It’s a great way to remember all the things that were important during their school years.
The time capsule printable PDF set includes an informational page and pages for each year of school. To use them, print out the time capsule worksheet PDF and fill them out each year on the last day of school.
Last Day of School Time Capsule Includes:
- Pre-K Time Capsule Worksheet
- Kindergarten Time Capsule Worksheet
- First Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Second Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Third Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Fourth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Fifth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Sixth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Seventh Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Eighth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Freshman Year Ninth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Sophomore Year Tenth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Junior Year Eleventh Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
- Senior Year Twelfth Grade Time Capsule Worksheet
What you get with purchase:
Unlike the type of time capsule that is buried, you’ll store yours in a safe place in your home so you can access it each year and add to it.
Add the completed forms with photos and a few special items to the container so that when graduation rolls around your family has a sweet reminder of your child’s journey.
It makes a perfect Graduation Party Idea. It is instant graduation décor that literally tells a story. Hang on a graduation party banner – perhaps glue each sheet to scrapbook paper and hang using Photo Clip String Lights – and see how your child has grown and changed from pervious years.
Just print it out your Time Capsule Printables and make it unique to your child. Use year after year with all your children and their siblings. Enjoy making your time capsule!
Not ready to buy? We have freebies too. Download our free printables. Subscribe and look for a link and password in your inbox. The password allows you to access and download all of our free printables.
By downloading digital downloads you are accepting the copyright terms and permissions that this is for personal, non-commercial use. Please contact Frugal Coupon Living with any questions.
I am happy to share printables. When sharing with others, please lead them to my website instead of emailing them the file(s).Thanks for visiting and thanks for sharing with others!
How to Print at Staples
Our Pinterest community and I would love to see how this worked out for you. Share your DIY child’s or family time capsule craft. Leave a comment here or on Pinterest!
More Family Traditions and Fun Ideas
In addition to creating a family’s time capsule, enjoy these Family Traditions. Some of our favorite family memories come from this list including family game night, Valentine hearts on the door, and early birthday time capsule interviews. You can even look at the birthday time capsule in these birthday ideas. Pin to Pinterest.
Speaking of a fun tradition! Take a look at these Last Day or School Ideas. Our favorite end of the year idea was silly string. Of course the beginning of the school year needs traditions too. Pin to Pinterest.
WHAT’S TRENDING? Looking for a few engaging activities? Grab Minute to Win it Games – Traditional, Holiday, Group, and more! Use these fun activities in the office, classroom, or at your next birthday party.