Looking for a sweet treat that can help you celebrate all things turkey? Thanksgiving Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make and assemble!
There are always tons of crafts and recipes to make around the holidays, but this Thanksgiving Rice Krispie Treats recipe is so fun to put together and the ingredients are super simple. This Rice Krispie Turkey is also budget friendly, which I love! Making a craft that is also edible is a win-win in my book. The kids will literally gobble it right up!
Tips for Making Thanksgiving Turkey Rice Krispy Treats
It’s that time of year again! The leaves are changing color, the air is getting crisper, and families are gathering to give thanks. And what would Thanksgiving be without a turkey-shaped treat? This year, why not try something new and make your own Thanksgiving Rice Krispy Treats? Here are a few tips for making them.
- Choose your shape. Whether you want to go for traditional rice Krispy treats or you just want to do a circle, this is the time to create your favorite shape.
- Make the dough. Start by melting marshmallows and butter in a pot over low heat. Once the mixture is melted, add in rice cereal until evenly mixed.
- Scoop and shaping. Use a spoon or cookie cutter to scoop out dough and shape into your desired turkey shape.
- Decorate! Have fun decorating your turkey with frosting, candy eyes, and whatever else you can think of!
Enjoy! Let your creativity shine through and have fun making these delicious Thanksgiving treats!
Is there a difference between marshmallow cream and marshmallow fluff?
Marshmallow cream is a thick, spreadable mixture made from marshmallows, corn syrup, and gelatin. Marshmallow fluff is similar but does not contain gelatin and has a lighter texture. Both can be used as substitutes for marshmallows in Rice Krispie Treats, but may result in slightly different textures and flavors.
Thanksgiving Rice Krispie Treats
I love sharing kids food crafts with you on the Rachael Ray Show October 2013. This year we have another fun one – a Thanksgiving Turkey Rice Krispie Treat. It’s a great way to recycle leftover Halloween Candy!
Gather a few supplies for your turkey rice krispie treats.
- 6 cup Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 10.5 oz Mini Marshmallows
- 9 Reese’s Miniatures
- 9 Orange Reese’s Pieces
- 18 Candy Eyes
- 45 Candy Corns
- 1/4 cup Red Candy Melting Chips
Also grab a cookie sheet, bowls, spatulas, for preparing these delicious treats.
Thanks Thanksgiving rice krispie treat instructions are simple
- Line a deeper (1″) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place Reese’s Miniatures in freezer for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Add cereal and mix well.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit about 3 minutes.
- Butter your hands or use wax paper to press the mixture firmly into the prepared pan. FOcus on getting the 1″ depth and only fill as much the sheet as you can while keeping the thickness.
- Allow to set for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a 2″ cookie cutter, biscuit cutter or drinking glass, cut out circles.
- Place red candy melting chips in corner of zippered sandwich bag and microwave for 45 seconds.
- Gently massage melted chocolate candy to insure that it is smooth and completely melted. If not, heat another 15 seconds.
- Clip very tip of the corner of bag to allow you to pipe on candy.
- Using candy as glue, attach miniature to bottom half of circle.
- Using candy as glue, attach 5 candy corn feathers around upper half of miniature to be tail feathers.
- Using candy as glue, attach Reese’s Piece to bottom half of miniature on its edge as beak.
- Using candy as glue, attach eyes above beak.
- Pipe on a waddle down the bottom of miniature below beak.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes to set up.
The next time you need a treat idea for the classroom or for a Thanksgiving gathering, these Thanksgiving Rice Krispie Treats are perfect!
Can you make Turkey Rice Krispie Treats ahead of time?
Yes, you can definitely make Rice Krispie Treats ahead of time. Simply prepare the treats according to your desired recipe and store them in an airtight container. They can last for up to a week at room temperature or even longer if stored in the refrigerator. Just be sure to let them come to room temperature before serving for optimum gooeyness and enjoyment.
Can these turn into Rice Krispie Pops?
Yes. Go ahead and prepare your Rice Krispie treat turkey. You can use these lollipop cake pop sticks to create cute turkey pops. For a fun idea, stick your dessert sticks in a decorated foam flower block or even a pumpkin drilled with holes. Display on the Thanksgiving dessert tables.
Is there a substitute for marshmallows in rice crispy treats?
If you don’t have marshmallows on hand or prefer not to use them, you can try using marshmallow fluff or melting chocolate chips and mixing them with the Rice Krispies cereal. You can also try using melted white chocolate or cream cheese as a substitute for the gooeyness typically provided by marshmallows. Experiment with different combinations and see what works best for your taste preferences.
How long will homemade Rice Krispie Turkey Treats stay fresh?
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats will stay fresh at room temperature for about a week, stored in an airtight container. They can also last longer if stored in the refrigerator. If you want them to stay even fresher for a longer period of time, you can also freeze them for up to a couple of months. Simply thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
More Thanksgiving Treats for Kids
Want more fun food craft recipes for Thanksgiving? Take a look at these Thanksgiving Food Treats featured on Rachel Ray. We hope you have a sweet tooth because there are plenty of ways to carve a turkey for Thanksgiving desserts.
This Turkey Sugar Cookie recipe is the most simplistic. Make the attached sugar cookie recipe or grab a pre-made store brand. Use icing as glue and create decadent feathers with candy corn. Pin it to Pinterest.
The Turkey Nutter Butter Cookies are the most popular Thanksgiving Food Craft, the flexibility of this food craft is nice. How much you want to go with this cookie is up to you. You can have a stand up turkey or a lay down turkey instead. Add leftover Halloween candy to spruce up the design or keep it simplistic with icing and candy corn. Pin to Pinterest.
On the show we made Rolo Pilgrim Hat Thanksgiving Cookies with chocolate peanut butter cups but you can also do with caramel cups. Pick up store bought frosted fudge cookies and glue on the top of the hat to make the perfect little snack for your little Pilgrim. Pinterest to Pinterest.
Lastly, this fun Chocolate Covered OREOs Turkey craft is likely for experienced and steady of hands baker. Mix colors and create bright feathers on your Oreo Turkey using a pretzel as a template. Again, how little or how much of the activity and design you want to do is up to you. Pin to Pinterest.
WHAT’S TRENDING? Looking for a few engaging activities? Grab Minute to Win it Games – Traditional, Christmas, Friendsgiving, Thanksgiving, and more! Use these fun activities in the office, classroom, or at your next party.