Gameday Tater Skins Recipe
(Pin to Pinterest)
One of the most popular appetizers to start off a meal, waiting for kickoff or anywhere else people gather is Potato Skins. While there are several steps involved, they really are very simple to make. If you have never made them before gameday is a great day to start, or even if you have maybe I have new technique you’d like to try. Look for long potatoes with a small diameter rather than large potatoes like you would use for baked potatoes. You can also pre-bake potatoes and finish the broiling steps just before guests arrive to heat them.
This is a basic recipe but add more flavor and finish these potato skins off by topping them with scallions, a dollop of chili, plain or flavored sour cream, diced tomatoes, diced ham, or something outside the box – olives or capers.
- 8 small to medium Russet potatoes
- 8 oz. shredded Colby and Cheddar blend.
- ½ stick salted butter
- ¼ to ½ cup crumbled bacon pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: chives
- Wash potatoes thoroughly, dry well.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Poke 4-5 holes in each potato with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool just enough to be handled.
- Using a sharp knife slice each potato in half.
- Take a spoon and remove about 75% of each potatoes inside, take care to keep skin intact.
- Melt butter, and brush on both sides of potato.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes back on baking sheet and under broiler set to high for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fill the cavity of each potato with cheese, and crumbled bacon.
- Place back under broiler until cheese is melted an bubbly.
- Serve with plain sour cream and a sour cream that has been mixed with chives to give your guests dipping options.
Don’t forget these other Football Gameday Appetizers:
- Filet Mignon Bites with Bernaise Sauce – Pin it to Pinterest
- Kickin’ Queso Dip RecipeKickin’ Queso Dip Recipe – Pin it to Pinterest
- Whiskey & BBQ Meatballs Recipe – Pin to Pinterest
- Sweet N’ Sassy Buffalo Wings Recipe – Pin to Pinterest
- Fifty Yard Line Guacamole Dip Recipe – Pin to Pinterest
- Brownie Footballs Recipe – Pin to Pinterest
- Coffee-Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats Recipe – Pin to Pinterest
WHAT’S TRENDING? Looking for a few engaging activities? Grab Minute to Win it Games – Traditional, Christmas, Friendsgiving, Thanksgiving, and more! Use these fun activities in the office, classroom, or at your next party.
Last Updated on January 4, 2014 by Ashley at Frugal Coupon Living