Dieting Hacks & Tips After Baby
It can be challenging to lose that baby weight. You may think it is absolutely insane that you aren’t losing as much as you thought you would because having a baby makes you run around like a chicken with your head cut off. However, stress is a huge factor in contributing to that stagnant weight. With that being said, here are some dieting hacks & tips after baby strategies that work!
1. Breastfeed your baby. Not only is breast milk great for baby, but breastfeeding is a great way to burn calories and help bring you back to pre-baby weight. It even helps with stubborn belly fat as it triggers your uterus to contract and shrink back down to its original size. As a first time mom (I am on my third) one thing I found very helpful were these different Breastfeeding Positions. This chart comes from WomensHealth.gov
2. Exercise with your baby. Let’s face it mom; you won’t be able to do much without having baby attached to you in some way. So, make use of that baby attachment by using baby to do push ups, leg stretches, and other exercises in which your baby is used as a weight. Take a look at these Stroller Workout Ideas from Fit Mommy Diaries.
3. Drink lots of water. Water is great for your body and staying hydrated is a great way to prevent overeating. Nothing is better than purse water but if you are looking for some water flavors, try these 6 Infused Water Recipes from She Uncovered.
4. Don’t go on an extreme diet. No matter how many pounds you want to lose, going on an extreme diet can make losing those pounds harder. Take a look at this Daily Food Journal Printable from 30 Handmade Days to help inspire and keep you accountable.
5. Eat 1,800 calories a day. Eating less calories isn’t going to make things better because then your body goes into starvation mode and starts storing more fat instead of burning calories. Stay at a healthy calorie intake of 1800-2000 calories a day. Please consult your doctor about the number of calories you need per day. Feeling really hungry, take a look at this Negative Calorie Chart from Let How, eat as much of these fruits and veggies as you like!
6. Eat nutritious foods. Try to cut back on snack cakes, pop tarts, and snacky foods. Instead, eat foods high in nutrients such as nuts, apples, bananas, carrots, wheat crackers, and other whole foods. Fit Food Finds has 15 Superfood Bowl Recipes – I love all my food in one bowl!
7. Go on daily walks. Walks are great ways to alleviate stress which can cause weight gain. Not only is walking a great way to get into shape, but it is a great way to keep your heart healthy as well. Take a look at some of our favorite Walking and Jogging Strollers.
1.) Britax B-Agile Stroller// 2.) Graco Relay Click Connect Jogging Stroller // 3.) Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller// 4.) Baby Trend Tri-Flex Stroller // 5.) Chicco TRE Performance Jogging Stroller // 6.) Evenflo Victory Jogging Stroller Tucson // 7.) BOB Revolution PRO Stroller // 8.) Thule Urban Glide Sport Stroller
8. Go for a swim. Whether you join a gym or head to the pool, swimming is a great way to build muscle town and shrink stubborn fat. Not only is it a great way to get into shape, but swimming is easy on a new mom’s body. Daily Burn has a Swim Workout Chart for swimmers of all levels. As I prefer guided workouts with others, I personally have enjoyed water fitness classes at my gym.
9. Stretch your entire body. Stretching is just as important as it is to exercise. Stretching your muscles helps circulate blood and get your body burning calories. This is why Yoga and Pilates are some of the most powerful exercises you can do. We love this Baby Wearing Yoga Chart from Wrapsody Baby but also check out this Shiva Rea Postnatal Yoga DVD on Amazon.
10. Sleep at least 5 hours a night. Not getting adequate sleep can make it difficult to lose after baby weight. If your baby doesn’t sleep 5 hours at a time, see if someone can alternate shifts with you so you can get some sleep. Nothing is worse than the first few weeks, these are a few books that helped me get my baby on a sleep cycle.
11. Ditch the coffee with creamer. If you must have caffeine, try drinking tea or coffee without cream and sugar. Remember if you are nursing, try your best to limit the caffeine. The Baby Center has a list of The Amount of Caffeine found in Common Drinks.
12. Pack snacks when you leave. You know those times you instantly get hungry from nowhere? Well, those are the times that you tend to succumb to fast food. Don’t do it. Instead, pack Ziploc bags of healthy snacks to take with you, so whenever you get hungry, you have something to curb it. Packing food ahead also helps from overeating.Ring Around the Rosies has some great 100 calorie snack bag ideas that are yummy and healthy.
13. Don’t buy new clothes. Motivation for getting back into your pre-pregnancy bod is that you have nothing to wear. If you want to wear something other than maternity clothes, you will have to buckle down and lose that baby weight. We were inspired by these Transitional Tops for Breastfeeding from Lynzy and Co.
14. Take time for you. Like I stated above, stress can contribute to your body storing fat. If you want to prevent stress from building up around your belly, take time for yourself. Take time to destress. Whether hanging out with friends, coloring, or going to the bathroom alone, take time just for you. One of my favorite things to mix with relaxation is scents – take a look at some of my favorite Essential Oils.
15. Baby squats. You never realize how much a baby can help you get back into shape. Use your baby to do squats and lunges to tone and strengthen your muscles. Also check out these 18 Moves for Baby and Mom from Skinny Mom.
16.) 10 Day Commitment! Go after the 10 day challenge. Anyone can do anything for 10 days! Pick up FREE Juice Plus Products for your 10 Day Shred!
When it comes to getting rid of that stubborn weight gain, the best advice is to do it all natural. What other advice do you have? Please share in the comments below! As always, when it comes to health, please consult your doctor or a physician first!
WHAT’S TRENDING? Be germ free! This fun gift tag + hand soap creates this cute TEACHER GIFT IDEA FOR THANKSGIVING.
Also access our Free Frugal Coupon Living Printables to help you find joy through embracing the chaos of motherhood more easily!
Stay in the know with daily deals, recipes, crafts, life hacks and seasonal content on Frugal Coupon Living. Receive this and more in your inbox.