Count down the days until Christmas with this fun DIY Christmas Calendar. This Elf on the Shelf Dollar Tree idea is a great prop for your little red North Pole visitor. Grab the free Elf on the Shelf printable for your Cricut machine and enjoy more Elf on the Shelf Dollar Tree ideas. New creative, funny, and original Elf on the Shelf Ideas daily.
Want new Elf on the Shelf Ideas in your inbox daily in the month of November & December? Sign up here!
Every December 25, Christmas is celebrated. This holiday is annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ. In addition to the birth of Christ, there are some commercial events around the holiday including the arrival of Santa Claus on Christmas morning. Saint Nicolas comes and drops off gifts and presents for those boys and girls found on the nice list. In order to help Santa create his nice list, an Elf on the Shelf arrives early in the season. The elf goes back to the North Pole every evening telling Santa who has been naughty or nice.
Are you anticipating the arrival of the Elf on the Shelf? If you can’t wait to welcome a little red guy in your home, it is important to know when the Elf on the Shelf arrives and how long the Elf stays.
What are the dates for Elf on the Shelf?
The Elf on the Shelf arrives on Thanksgiving or shortly after. In some cases, a home might not get a little red Elf until December 1st. In other houses, the Elf on the Shelf might only arrive a few weeks before Christmas. Each home is different and if your child is asking “where is my Elf on the Shelf” explain to them that sometimes there is a very long line of elves trying to leave North Pole Customs and Border Protection.
If you have more dying Elf on the Shelf questions, make sure you read them all including when does Elf on the Shelf leave and can the Elf on the Shelf be touched? To guide your children into following Santa’s rules for Elf, download this free printable Elf on the Shelf rules.
Does Dollar Tree Have Elf on the Shelf?
No. The Dollar Tree does not carry Elf on the Shelf. The official Elf on the Shelf Doll is found at many major retailers including Amazon, Target and Walmart locations. It’s important to notes that the Scout Elf Doll comes with an Elf on the Shelf book. This is a set. The doll will have a red body, red hat and white collar. Any different colors you find like purple, green, orange, camo, or leopard are knock-off versions.
A few years ago, Dollar General acquired elves called Elf Mates. This was not the official Scout Elf brand however CC&B LLC (the Elf on the Shelf parent company) did purchase these elves and now sell them too. They are considered friendly Elf workshop helpers and not the little red guy that comes to your home each day.
Hobby Lobby created cheap elf dolls in gray and snowflake patterns in late Fall of 2021 but they were pull from the shelves for being very similar in style to to the trademarked Elf on a Shelf.
DIY Elf on the Shelf Countdown to Christmas
As little kids we squirm until Christmas morning. There is something about the magic and excitement of the holiday season that has everyone anxious for the climax – Christmas Day! If your child is so ready for a visit form St. Nick himself, countdown the days until Santa’s arrival with this easy to make DIY Christmas Calendar.
This fun Countdown to Christmas craft is perfect for your Elf on the Shelf craft. It comes with a free “days until Christmas” SVG file. Simply use a piece of chalk to change the number daily. Not only does it keep the excitement alive until Christmas but for younger children it gives a visual of how far away Christmas really is.
Before you begin your Elf on the Shelf countdown calendar, you will need a few simple supplies. Some of these supplies you will have on hand, others you might need to purchase at the Dollar Store or your local craft store. We picked up our mini chalkboard at the Dollar Tree making this Christmas craft very affordable!
- The Elf on the Shelf Doll
- Mini chalkboard (we got ours from the Dollar Tree)
- Red paint
- Paint brush
- Red vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Cricut Vinyl Cutter
- Optional: Countdown to Christmas SVG file (find in Free Elf on the Shelf printables)
Don’t have a Cricut Explorer? No problem, this sign can still be made and used without the red vinyl countdown.
How to make an Elf on the Shelf Countdown Calendar
Paint the frame of the chalkboard red and allow the paint to dry completely.
Upload the SVG into Design Space and resize to fit your chalk board, if needed.
Weld all the letters together and hit the green Make It button.
Place the red vinyl on the cutting mat and load it into the Cricut.
Set the dial on the machine to vinyl and cut the design.
Weed out the excess vinyl and place a piece of transfer tape on top.
Transfer the vinyl design to the bottom of the chalkboard.
Use the Dollar Tree Christmas Chalkboard Sign to countdown the number of days until Christmas with your Elf on a Shelf.
More Dollar Store + Elf on the Shelf
If you are new or Elf on the Shelf or even an expert, you know that the Elf doll requires many accessories. Every new Elf on the Shelf idea can be put together with toys around the home, low-cost Elf printable props, or more expensive Elf on the Shelf accessories. At Frugal Coupon Living, our goal is to have a low-cost Elf on the Shelf season. Take a look at some of these props you can pick up at the Dollar Store for your Elf on the Shelf doll.
What can I buy at the Dollar Tree for Elf on the Shelf Ideas?
Just a few simple props can be picked up from your local Dollar Tree to keep the Elf on the Shelf tradition alive! These low-cost Elf on the Shelf accessories will help you get through the entire Elf season with a few stellar fun ideas.
When looking around the store, make sure you have access to the huge Elf on the Shelf list of ideas on hand. It might help your creative juices to begin flowing.
Just a few examples of Dollar Tree Elf props:
- Miniature Games – Elves love to play games because they are lots fun. From Tic-Tac-Toe, Connect 4, Twister, Chutes and Ladders and more.
- Balloons – Trap your Elf in a balloon, make a hot air balloon or make a bubble gum fart.
- Candy Canes – This Christmas candy can go along way with ideas including a candy cane scavenger hunt.
- Mason Jar – A jar is not only great for Elf quarantine but also for carrying your elf around with Elf travel.
- Pom Poms – Pom poms can be turned into snow balls or even a fun marble run.
- Marshmallows – Marshmallows really provide endless funny Elf on the Shelf ideas like a bubble bath, building a snowman, cup of hot cocoa or snowball fight.
- Ornaments – Make your Elf on the Shelf wreath or milk glass.
- Tissue Box – Turn a tissue box into a bed or use it to take a day or two off with an Elf prescription doctor’s note.
- Cereal – Make a levitating magic cereal or cut a hole and place your elf through the box.
- Gift Wrap – Bows are perfect for Elf rock climbing while wrapping paper can make pretty cool Elf stilts.
- Popcorn – Popcorn is perfect for making garland, an elf Microwave idea or even an Elf movie night complete with snacks.
- Stickers – Stickers quickly decorate your Elf. Make a photo booth prop, create eye emojis, or just cover the elf completely for a silly idea.
While the Dollar Tree does sell many of these items online, often you have to buy in bulk. It’s best to run to your local dollar store and look for many of these items in their Christmas, home, craft supplies, and toy aisle.
Find more Elf on the Shelf ideas on Frugal Coupon Living.
Elf on the Shelf Printables
Our most popular Elf on the Shelf printables can be found in our Elf Store. Shop Elf costumes, our Elf Twister board, Jokes for Kids, our Magic Shrinking Machine and so much more!
Our Elf shop also contains the Elf on the Shelf Advent Calendar filled with easy to read Bible verses for kids. These verses tell the story of Jesus, his birthday and resurrection. There are enough Advent Bible Verses for Kids for Elf on the Shelf to bring daily. This is a fun Christmas calendar you can do with or without an Elf doll.
Free Elf Printables
Are you prepared when it comes to the Elf season? We also love sharing Elf on the Shelf free printables! Gather everything you need including this Free Elf on the Shelf Calendar printable sign.
If you would prefer a calendar you can edit on the computer, you can grab our editable Elf on the Shelf calendar too in the Etsy Elf Store. Otherwise the Elf on the Shelf calendar printable comes with blank pages you can write on.
Get all of our free Elf on the Shelf printables by entering your email address below. Look for an email to confirm you signed up. Once you confirm, look for a second email in your inbox with a link and password!
Free Printables Step by Step Directions
2.) Look for a confirmation email in your inbox and confirm you requested a sign up.
3.) We will send you a Free Printables Welcome Email with link and passcode to all of our free printables.
4.) Enter your passcode at the top of the page here and click “Access Printables”
5. Enjoy your Elf Printables.
Elf on the Shelf Resources
At Frugal Coupon Living, our goal, to create an easy Elf on the Shelf season for you. This is not our first year of having an Elf in the home. With over eight years of Elf ideas, we have created a rather large Elf on the Shelf fan club full of new Elf on the Shelf ideas. These Elf on the Shelf resources are all you need to create the best Elf ideas.
What is Elf on the Shelf?
Elf on the Shelf is a Christmas Tradition. The tradition has a book and a elf doll. The book is poetic and in rhyme sharing the purpose of the Elf’s visits. The Elf visits each Thanksgiving. He/She goes and returns from the North Pole each evening. Every morning he can be found in a new location in the house. The Elf has been found in the refrigerator, fishing in the toilet, writing messages on the mirror or hanging from the lights. It is VERY IMPORTANT, the Elf is not touch each evening or his Christmas magic will be lost! Each family is able to name their special elf. The elves return to their home (Santa’s North Pole Work shop) every Christmas Eve. An Elf’s Story can also be found on DVD.
More Helpful Elf on the Shelf Links
Some call Frugal Coupon Living the biggest resource for all things Elf on the Shelf. While we don’t want to brag, we will. We have move our red little North Pole friend for year after year. We have created plenty of free printables, must have resources, inspirational Elf links and more. Use us at a platform to keep your sanity through the entire Christmas season.
Use the helpful Elf on the Shelf links to come up with create ideas, grab free printables, and answer Elf on the Shelf Questions.
- Elf on the Shelf Ideas – a Starter guide to all things elf including some of our top post ideas and Elf on the Shelf digital downloads.
- Largest List of Elf on the Shelf Ideas – Now over 600 Elf on the Shelf ideas. New ideas added daily during November and December.
- Elf on the Shelf Questions and Answers – Are you just beginning with an Elf? Could you use a refresher of all the Elf rules. Take a look at frequently asked elf on the shelf questions to get started. You will immediately be an Elf expert.
- Free Elf on the Shelf Printables – Sign up for our emails and grab these free Elf digital downloads to help you during the Elf season. Includes an Elf calendar, notes, Elf coloring pages, encouraging ideas and more.
- DIY Bendable Elf on the Shelf – Want your Elf to do all sorts of positions. This is an easy no-sew bendable Elf on the Shelf tutorial.
- Elf Shop with Digital Downloads – This is one of the best Elf shops full of printable resources to perfect the holiday season.
- Elf on the Shelf Emails with New Ideas Daily – Each day we will write you with a new Elf on the Shelf idea as well as links to Elf on the shelf resources and sometimes hidden coupon codes and freebies!
Take a look at the Elf on the Shelf Pinterest Board. Tell us what easy ideas and crafts you are doing with your Elf on the Shelf this season. Is there an Elf idea we haven’t tried? Do you have any Elf on the Shelf questions. Leave a comment here or on Pinterest.
WHAT’S TRENDING? Looking for a few engaging activities? Grab Themed Minute to Win it Games – Traditional, New Year, Valentine’s Day, Easter & more! Use these fun activities in the office, classroom, or at your next party.
Last Updated on November 2, 2022 by Ashley at Frugal Coupon Living