TYME Review | Save vs. Splurge – HairIrons, Curling Wands, Blow Dryers and other beauty produts. To spend or not to spend, an honest reivew.
TYME Review | Save vs. Splurge
One of the biggest gifts my parents gave me was the knowledge of money. From the time I was little, they taught me it’s importance, how to save, and how to spend wisely. Years later, many jobs, many incomes and the establishing and growth of a family this instilled philosophy has not changed, in fact, it’s only deepened. Leaving my parent’s nest, I understood I needed to make money, save wisely and spend little. Through experience, however, I did learn the difference between quantity verses quality and cheap verses well-made. One experience that taught me well was kids’ shoes. I learned that I can buy my girls plenty of pretty, cheap shoes. This gives them more shoes however I will get complaints from them about the shoes hurting their feet and in the end won’t wear them. I am left with a brand new pair of shoes that never gets worn and each pair ends up being a waste of money – those pairs add up, they add up to the cost of if I had just invested in a quality pair! Another experience that gave me a wise lesson was my hair. I invested in cheap salon for a hair color and highlights. I was left with breakage and an awful hair color. Still behaving stupidly (yes, I can use that word on myself) I returned back to the same salon (because fixing their mistake was free.) This partially fixed the color but left me with dry, over processed hair – total waste of the original money I invested, not to mention the time! It took me a total of 8 hours plus travel time and in return gave me lost work revenue – never again!
I have coarse hair. Not only is it thick, it is long. In college, without a penny to my name, I would beg my girlfriends to iron my hair. This was with a clothing iron. I would lay my hair on the ironing board and they would get as close to my scalp as they could without burning me. This was a cheap solution and gave me the immediate fix I craved. It was “frugal” but gave my hair awful results. It was dry and I had breakage. As I got older, I invested in a cheaper hair iron but my hair was never as straight as with the clothing iron. As I got older and had more money, I bought my first expensive hair iron and I never went back. In my mid twenties I realized, I needed protective metal plates to keep my looking healthy and tamed. This was the first step is choosing quality over quantity and when investing a little bit more, left me with healthier hair and less maintenance (and cost) in the long run!
I was first introduced to TYME in my Facebook feed – has anyone else seen them. I was mesmerized by the video and how the model got curls with such ease – I had to try this product. When my TYME iron arrived it was in a pretty box. It was well sealed and I had the assurance that it was protected from it’s travel from the facility to my home. The TYME iron comes with a pretty sleeve for protection and my own travel. The iron is a beautiful metallic gold. I noticed it had an odd shape – sorta like a 90 degree angle at the edge of the plates. This is for creating precise curls. I also could feel it was well-made, a top quality.
One of my favorite things about the TYME is the one on one attention. When you get your iron, get a FREE, personalized tutorial via StyleTYME Tutorials. When you get your wand schedule a FREE 30 minute appointment. This appointment can be over Skype, Google Hangout, or Facetime. Most people find one session is enough, but if you need a refresher have a one on one daily, weekly, monthly, as often as you need. The photo above is after my first session! I chuckle at the photo above (now, not then) as I am/was 5 months pregnant and in the first few hours of a week long stomach flu – not a fun time. Having gotten to know the iron better, I realized I could have done a few things better. Worked slower (for frizz) and released the tension (for some kinks.)
I learned three steps along the way…
Follow these THREE TYME Steps:
- Guidelines (dark lines of the TYME) toward head.
- Rev your wrist back (similar to starting a motorcycle.)
- Bring forward.
First Time TYME Tips:
- The iron takes 55 seconds to heat up.
- Plug in and turn on the blue button. There is not heat pad, just make sure the blue button is facing up. Your iron should lay on the curved, dark side.
- There is one heat setting at 400 degrees.
- It is preferred your hair is washed and clean. Dry hair with no product is best.
- There is a correct way to hold your iron. Your forefingers should be on the side that says TYME and your thumb on the opposite side.
- When using the TYME iron, follow the guidelines, the dark side of the tool should be at your head.
- When curling your hair, I found starting at the back to the front best.
- Do not grab in large chunks.
- Separate into small vertical (not horizontal) sections.
- It is important to squeeze light. Gripping hard causes crimping.
- Work slow without much tension. If you squeeze lightly and move the iron slowly forward it will create less frizz.
- For parts you miss, I find separating my hair into two groups, pulling the hair forward in front of my shoulder and using the wand on the straight pieces at the bottom works well. This gives you many layers of curls. Curls from the top to the bottom and curls just at the bottom.
- Don’t’ forget to turn your blue light off to shut down!
Hair irons can be pricey. Take a look at this Save vs. Splurge Hair tool list. Notice how the TYME iron easily falls in two categories. Your purchase includes a bang for your buck – sorta like two birds and one stone.
Save vs Splurge: Hair Straightener
Save vs Splurge: Curling Iron
Save vs Splurge: Hair Dryer
Revlon Hair Dryer $13.99
The TYME is it is a STRAIGHTENING IRON AND CURLING IRON IN ONE! This combo makes hair care easy and fun and also keeps away clutter!
Note: Items and prices on Amazon are subject to change.
TYME’s promise to you: Free StyleTYME Tutorials, 30-day return policy + one year warranty.
Disclosure: I was not compensated for my post. I was given a TYME iron for my review. All opinions are my own and should not be substituted for yours.
WHAT’S TRENDING: Check out our Pinterest Content including Summer Ideas – Hacks, Recipes, Crafts and More on Frugal Coupon Living.
Also try Amazon Prime which includes FREE 2-Day Shipping, FREE Kindle Books, and FREE Video Streaming!
Find this and updated daily deals, recipes, crafts, and seasonal content on Frugal Coupon Living. Receive this and other in your inbox.