It’s that time of year when soup sounds good just about every night to make us feel warm and cozy. This one fits the bill and it’s cheap too. Probably the most expensive thing in this recipe is the optional bacon; but if you are stockpiling, you may already have some in your freezer! If you don’t have any, it really is optional – perfectly tasty without it.
POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped (can do white part only or all of it – your preference)
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups chicken stock
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup low fat milk
Optional: Crumbled bacon on top when served
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add onions and leeks. Sauté gently until soft.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in stock.
- Add potatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce to Medium-High until potatoes are fork tender – about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree soup in a blender. Return to pot on low until ready to serve.
WHAT’S TRENDING? Looking for a few engaging activities? Grab Minute to Win it Games – Traditional, Christmas, Friendsgiving, Thanksgiving, and more! Use these fun activities in the office, classroom, or at your next party.