- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 unpeeled medium apple, grated
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Optional flavor additions: 1 cup fresh berries; 2/3 cup dried fruit, ½ cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, oats, eggs, sugar and optional flavor additions.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12-muffin tin or use muffin liners. Fold dry sifted ingredients gently into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Loosen from pan immediately and allow to cool on a cooling rack.