- 2 lbs. Ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 ½ – 2 cups Pizza sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cups Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ tsp. Oregano
- 2 tsp. Basil
- 2 Cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Loaves of French bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion to the skillet, and cook until the onion has browned, is soft, and translucent. Set the onion aside in a bowl and keep warm.
- Add 2 pounds of ground Italian sausage to the same skillet, and cook until browned, chopping up any large pieces with a cooking spoon.
- When the meat is just browned, add in a mix of 1 ½ teaspoons of Oregano and 2 teaspoons of Basil.
- Add in 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Pour in 1 ½ to 2 cups of pizza sauce. Stir to combine all of the ingredients well, and add salt or pepper to taste.
- While the meat is browning, hollow out the insides of two loaves of French bread. Set the bread from the inside of the loaves aside to use in another dish as you see fit.
- Place one cup of ricotta cheese into each hollowed out loaf of bread, and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
- Top each loaf of bread with half of the meat mixture.
- Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese to the top of each loaf of bread on top of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle ¼ of a cup of Parmesan cheese on the very top of the loaves of bread.
- Place the bread into the oven on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes until the cheese on the top has browned and become bubbly.
- Serve with a garnish of herbs and a side of fresh salad greens.