- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- purple gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Sit aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer whip the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy in the mixing bowl.
- Add in an egg, then the egg whites one at a time. Add the vanilla with the second egg white.
- Using a liquid measuring cup whisk the buttermilk and purple gel food coloring together.
- Start to mix 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture. Mix after each addition only until just combined.
- After all ingredients are blended scoop the batter into the paper lined cupcake pan until each tin is 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack until completely cooled.