Cat in the Hat Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 2 T solid shortening
- 3/4 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
- 9 large red Airheads candies (or red fruit roll ups)
- Black write-on gel
- Red write-on gel
- Spray a 9 x 9 pan with Pam and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cereal and optional salt until well-coated.
- Using a rubber spatula (spray with Pam for easier handling), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
- Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut the prepared Rice Krispies (from recipe above) into 6 even long rectangles.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave the solid shortening for 40 seconds or until melted.
- Add the white chocolate melts and stir until completely melted.
- Immediately coat each Rice Krispies stick with the melted white chocolate and place on the baking sheet to “set” for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut each Airheads piece into 2 pieces lengthwise. You will have 18 pieces total.
- Once the chocolate on the Rice Krispies is dry, take an Airhead piece and wrap around a Rice Krispies stick at the very top of the stick. Pinch at the back to seal.
- Wrap another Airheads piece around the stick about 1/2-1 inch down from the top one. Pinch at the back to seal.
- Repeat step 7 with another Airheads piece. Complete steps 6-8 until all of the Rice Krispies have 3 airheads pieces alternating with white chocolate for the hat.
- With the black write-on gel, pipe two eyes, a nose and whiskers on each stick.
- At the very bottom of each stack, pipe a large “X” with the red write-on gel. Fill it in with the gel to resemble a bow tie.