Who doesn’t enjoy a favorite recipe you can replicate at home? Enjoy this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup in your own kitchen. We bet it will be a comfort food recipe you make over and over with your family!
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of half and half
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 4 cups of broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 cups of sharp cheddar shredded cheese (fresh is best, if you can get a block and shred it yourself, go this route!)
- 2 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium high heat. Once butter has melted, add in onions and saute for 3-4 minutes and then add in garlic for the last 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour and stir until flour mixture begins to turn a golden color. Slowly add in half and half, whisk until smooth, and then slowly add in chicken broth, and seasonings.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer mixture until thickened -about 9-10 minutes.
- Add in broccoli, carrots, and celery. Continue to cook at a simmer until vegetables reach desired tenderness, about 20 minutes or so. When vegetables have reached desired tenderness, reduce heat to low and add in cheese, cook an additional 3-4 minutes.