Character Cake Tutorial – Easy Thomas the Train Cake
- First decide what size cake you want to make (see the cheat sheet below to help with sizing.)
- Find the image of the character you want (I just Googled ‘Thomas the Train coloring pages’), like I said, and go for simple and easy when choosing!
- Print out the image, then resize it according to the size cake you want to make.
- You can either do this with a home scanner, or you can go to your local office supply store where they have those capabilities (usually costs under $1.00)
- Be sure to have 2 images printed out. You will be cutting one up and using the other one as a reference guide.
- After you have baked your cake and its cooled and your frosting is prepared, divide up the frosting and add the food coloring according to your character’s colors.
- Place colored frosting in frosting bags with tips.
- Cut out your image around the border and place on the cake.
- Trace with a toothpick.
- Pick up image and cut along a different border in the image, working your way inwards, align to the traced edges you just did and trace a little more with the toothpick.
- Once you have all your lines traced, use your other image as a guide (because it can get a little confusing just looking at all the lines and trying to figure out what is what), and start filling in with colored frosting!
- I used the simple dot method to fill in and find this the easiest and most effective way.
- Slice and enjoy!