Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts Recipe
Pin to Pinterest
Fall is filled with time at the pumpkin patch, apple picking and whipping up plenty of yummy treats! Doughnuts are one of those irresistible treats that easily change with every season, and pumpkin spice doughnuts are at the top of our list. It’s easy to whip up a fresh batch of doughnuts with ingredients you already have on hand and a couple seasonal treats.
Before you get started, read through the instructions entirely because frying doughnuts is a fast paced process. There are also several items that need to be prepped ahead of time to make the cooking easier.
Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts
Makes 12 doughnuts and 12 doughnut holes
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 ½ cups flour, divided into 1 cup and 2 ½ cup portions
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cups apple cider
For Doughnut Powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups vegetable oil
1. Prepare the items that you will be using. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Ready two large plates, one with paper towels and the other without. In a clean paper lunch bag, mix doughnut powder ingredients and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients; 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt. Mix well. In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients; eggs, egg yolk, apple cider and butter. Mix well.
3. Pour wet mixture into the large bowl containing the dry ingredients and whisk till all lumps are removed. slowly stir in remaining 2 ½ cups flour till fully combined. Chill dough in refrigerator for ten minutes.
4. Heat vegetable oil on medium-high in a fryer or large pot till it is 375°– use a candy thermometer to safely test temperature. While oil is heating, prepare counter space with a coat of flour. Wash and flour doughnut cutter, or one small and one large, round cookie cutter.
5. Remove dough from the refrigerator and pat out onto floured surface. When dough it ½” thickness cut out as many doughnuts with cutters as possible. Gather up dough remnants, ball up and pat out again until all the dough is used up. Transfer doughnuts and holes to lined baking sheet. Should end up with 12 doughnuts and 12 doughnut holes.
6. Drop one to two doughnuts into the frying oil at a time. After one minute dough should rise to the surface. Let dough fry for one more minute, then flip and fry for a minute and a half. Scoop doughnut out and transfer to paper lined plate.
7. When doughnut has cooled enough to handle, drop it into the paper bag filled with powder and shake. Don’t wait too long or sugar will not coat the doughnut entirely. Remove doughnut from paper bag and place on clean plate. Repeat until all the doughnuts are fried and powdered. Enjoy!
Find more Recipes on Frugal Coupon Living including the Freezer Weekly meals with Weekend Prep and the Fall Recipe Round-Up.
HOT DEALS: Looking for what’s trending? Check out our Fashion Deals and Online Shopping Deals on Frugal Coupon Living.
Also grab Amazon Prime which includes FREE 2-Day Shipping, FREE Kindle Books, and FREE Video Streaming!
Find this and updated daily deals on Frugal Coupon Living. Receive this and other Daily Deals for FREE in your inbox.